This Week in the Nest:
Monday: Girls’ Volleyball Tournament @ Rez (pm)
Grade 6 & 7 Girl’s Club (3:30-5:00) *permission forms required
Tuesday: Spirit Day!
Reconciliation for Grades 3-8 in the afternoon at school
Wednesday: Skills Competition (one team attending). Good luck kids!
Math Tips for Parents/Guardians:
“The key to understanding math is making sense of it. Many students believe that math is a set of formulas that have to be remembered – this belief is associated with low achievement. Math is a very creative subject that is, at its core, about visualizing patterns and creating solution paths that others can see, discuss and critique.” http://www.youcubed.org/category/teaching-ideas/number-sense/
Tips for Supporting Your Child
- Talk to your child’s teacher when you have questions.
- Be Positive – every child can learn mathematics with perseverance.
- Be Less Helpful – always try to have the math come from your child and not the other way around.
- Try not to tell your child how to do the math. They may not understand your thinking. Instead, ask questions that encourage understanding (“Why did you do that?”, “Why does that work?”, “How do you know you are right?”, “Is there another way you could do it?”).
- Encourage your children to question and wonder with them.
- Set High Expectations – children need to learn to persevere, to adjust thinking and strategies if their first attempt at a solution is unsuccessful. Encourage them to keep trying, if your child gets frustrated, take a break and come back to it.